Artificial intelligence will create a bigger impact than the internet. This was the headline takeaway for those attending this year’s World Economic Forum in Davos.

The advantages that AI will unequivocally bring to every corner of life, health and business is going to create such a divide that it will become the next “human right”.

Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce, believes that the digital divide between “those that have” and “those that have not” will be wider than anything we’ve seen.

Artificial recruitment and its future

The possibilities of AI in recruitment are still being sketched out, with providers offering new ways to automate, optimise and accelerate every touch-point of recruitment.

However, the race to implement AI tools is being made from the wrong starting blocks and agencies need to step back and first look at the data that’s being fed into these tools.

Any tool you’re working with will offer little advantage if the quality of data going into them is questionable. It’s like filling a diesel engine with petrol and expecting it to work better.

Michael Dell put it best last year in front of audiences at Dell Technologies World when he said:

“If AI is your rocket ship, data is your fuel. Data will become your most valuable asset.”

Recruitment agencies are perhaps sitting on one of the biggest opportunities to do this with the levels of information stored in their CRMs.

Earlier this month during a conversation with Steve Ward from CandidateID, we agreed that recruitment consultants shouldn’t be engaging with almost 90% of the candidates in their CRMs.

Although I’m not saying marketing departments shouldn’t!

At least not at a time when they’re not interested in looking for a job.

Data insights are there to identify who to call and when. It allows you to focus your efforts in the most effective way. It’s there to connect you with people quicker.

We know that our platform works within your CRM to identify the most profitable clients, the actions to prioritise and can drill into the performance of any individual, team or client.

We also know that if the data isn’t accurate neither are the insights coming out – which is why any AI platform you invest in has to be engaged with the creation of data and its quality.

I was recently working with our Customer Success department looking at why the data cube19 displayed for a client was so massively different to their internal CRM reporting.

  • Double counting CVs sent and interviews
  • Live jobs that had been open for over 150 days visible in the pipeline
  • Live open jobs in the system that had actually been placed
  • Split fee placements with 18.75% recorded and the other 81.25% missing
  • Placements with a £42,000 day rate and the list went on…

It was all filtered out by cube19.

That made for some significant differences in KPI and performance metrics across the board. Is that the kind of data you can truly base AI or machine learning on?

Quality In. Insights Out. Actions Taken

Do your consultants know why accurate and regular logging of their activity is so important to improving their own performance and billings?

A good salesman isn’t going to willingly step away from the phones to conduct what they consider admin. You have to show them why it’s beneficial.

With the right insights, recruiters can move away from voluminous activity and prioritise the candidates, clients and activity that is going to actually move their pipeline forward.

Incentivising data entry with competition, visuals and aligning it to KPIs will all dramatically improve CRM adoption, but the biggest change has to come from changing attitudes.

We need a new conversation about data and AI across the industry and that has to be led from the top to benefit the bottom.